New Canaan, CT – October 22, 2011
Halloween Safety Tips for Families and Kids Everywhere:
Top tips to keep your kids in Connecticut safe on Halloween – also, check out our list of Halloween Events for New Canaan!
For parents and children:
- Children under 12 should trick-or-treat and cross streets with an adult.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Parents should remind children to watch for cars that are turning or backing up.
- Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross. Walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day so you can spot children from greater distances.
- Remember that costumes can limit children’s visibility and they may not be able to see your vehicle.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
Costumes and Treats
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and choose light colored costumes to improve visibility.
- Choose face paint and make-up instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision. Look for non-toxic designations when choosing Halloween makeup.
- Avoid carrying sticks, swords, or other sharp objects.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights in order to see better, as well as to be seen by drivers.
- Liquid in glow sticks is hazardous, so parents should remind children not to chew on or break them.
- Check treats for signs of tampering before children are allowed to eat them. Candy should be thrown away if the wrapper is faded or torn, or if the candy is unwrapped.
Enjoy a SAFE, HEALTHY and HAPPY HALLOWEEN from all of us at KARL Chevrolet! Thanks to our friends at Safe Kids USA for these helpful tips!